Tuesday, June 12, 2007

Journal entry for class

Some of these tools might be really interesting for teaching, but I still feel like I would want to start with a webpage as the home base for it. From there, it would be easy to link to a blog or a wiki. The blog looks like it is easier to manage and navigate, but the wiki looks more powerful, especially for the students to be able to create pages within the main page. That might be more in line for a technology course, but I could see it being very useful for presentations. Powerpoint is rather boring in comparison to what the wikis could do. I do a few group presentations throughout the year, and inevitably they do a boring slide show, even when creativity is in the rubric. I think working through the wiki would make them think about multimedia more, as it is more conducive to including videos, pictures, sound, etc. This would certainly affect how I teach presentations. The part that would worry me is how much do the students know about wikis. They all seem to have a very good grasp of Powerpoint, and I would be worried about their knowledge of wikis, because I would not want to teach how to use them; a waste of time in a literature class. Then again, they are in groups, so it might just work. This seems like one of those things that Kajder says "enables students to do something they couldn't do before, or could do before but now do it better" (98) and in that sense this is something that is worth "reinventing."

1 comment:

Ellie said...

Another thing that wikis support is collaborative writing. I'm sorry I didn't set up a collaborative writing activity in this class (other than the discussion summaries, which were more divided up than collaborative), and explore the ways in which collaborative writing can support student learning. Next time!