Tuesday, June 26, 2007

Journal Entry Week 5

ok, so I'm interested in creating a web page for my classes at school. I would use a general front page for all my classes, with links to the individual ones so that all the students have one place to go for general information, and then they can pick the appropriate place for the specifics.  Kajder says to "Start small," and I certainly plan to. I think this is something that I can start on over the summer and get the basics into it, and then as time, and the years, progress, I can add more and more to it. For example, this first year I do not plan on having a discussion forum; I think it would be too much too soon, and I would not be ready or prepared for it. Kajder recommends things like the discussion forum so that it is a page the students want to visit, but again, I'm going to go with the cautious route; I can always add the discussion page in the future. One of the teachers in my school with a web page does not use it for a lot. He has the spelling and vocab lists on it, in addition to some basic grammer information. The most interesting and appealing aspect of his page is his calender where he shows what the students will be doing every day of the year. Now, I don't have quite that much planned out, but I can see a real advantage in posting that type of information. Parents and students will know what is happening when, and have no excuses for not getting the work done. This is the part that appeals to me the most: assignments online. Students won't have to ask, I won't have to bug them to call a friend, etc. They can just head to the page when sick, or missing a day, or cutting, or whatever. Makes both our lives easier.
Another section that Kajder talks about that seems interesting is the page with links to material that would help with the current assignment or reading. I'd love to have a resource like this, where I can say, "Don't go to sparknotes, go to my page!"

1 comment:

Ellie said...

Your ideas about initial uses of a website are good ones. I advise faculty here to think in terms of a 3 semester development path, posting materials and resources the first semester, using the site for student postings/discussions the second, and then experimenting with adding other tools like blogs. And not to throw out something just because it didn't work the first time, but to learn from that.